By a relative timeline, Zen McCollum is barely at the beginning of his powerlifting profession. Nonetheless, with the best way the 22-year-old has pushed full steam forward thus far, it could be exhausting to not view the 120-kilogram-plus athlete as an completed veteran.
On Oct. 19, 2022, McCollum shared a video to his Instagram profile the place he notched a 390-kilogram (860-pound) single-ply squat double throughout a coaching session. Per the caption of his put up, the feat is a private report (PR). Along with wrist and knee wraps, McCollum wore a lifting go well with and lifting belt to assist with the determine.
McCollum’s squat double PR is related to his ongoing preparation for the 2022 Worldwide Powerlifting Federation (IPF) World Outfitted Open Powerlifting Championships. That contest will happen on Nov. 14-20, 2022, in Viborg, Denmark. It is going to be simply the second look for McCollum in a world competitors after a second-place Juniors end through the 2022 IPF World Junior Outfitted Powerlifting Championships.
Because the reigning outfitted Powerlifting America (AMP) Nationwide Champion within the 120-kilogram-plus weight class, McCollum has amassed fairly the person resume at a younger age. After beginning his profession largely as a uncooked competitor, McCollum seems to have transitioned to a single-ply, outfitted focus. That shift in consideration has seemingly paid off because the athlete can depend six out of seven victories the place he competed single-ply.
In accordance with Open Powerlifting, right here’s an outline of a few of the extra notable outcomes of McCollum’s profession to this point:
Zen McCollum (+120KG) | Notable Profession Outcomes
- 2017 USA Powerlifting (USAPL) Rocky Mountain State Video games (Teen/Uncooked) — First place | First profession victory
- 2017 USAPL Uncooked Nationwide Championships (Teen/Uncooked) — Second place
- 2018 USAPL Gorilla Warfare II Pandora’s Field (Teen/Uncooked) — First place
- 2018 USAPL Uncooked Nationals (Teen/Uncooked) — Second place
- 2019 USAPL Colorado State Championships (Teen/Uncooked) — First place
- 2019 USAPL Southwest Regionals (Open/Single-ply) — First place
- 2021 USAPL Revenge of the Kilo Monster (Open/Uncooked) — First place
- 2022 AMP Nationals (Junior/Open/Uncooked/Single-ply) — First place
- 2022 IPF World Junior Outfitted Powerlifting Championships (Juniors-Single-ply) — Second place
Right here’s an outline of McCollum’s all-time single-ply competitors bests:
Zen McCollum | Single-Ply All-Time Competitors Bests
- Squat — 385 kilograms (848.7 kilos)
- Bench Press — 275 kilograms (606.2 kilos)
- Deadlift — 317.5 kilograms (699.9 kilos)
- Complete — 962.5 kilograms (2121.9 kilos)
McCollum will doubtless must carry his A-game to seize his first-ever worldwide victory in Denmark. That in all probability received’t be a problem for an athlete who has began his aggressive profession on a rocket-like ascent.
Featured picture: @zen.the.piston on Instagram